hi becky

you wrote:
>Hi!  My name is Becky Potts.  I'm going into my junior year in
>highschool.  I'm interested in this list for a few reasons.  My grandpa
>was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years ago, but just recently I have
>become interested in scientific research of nuerological diseases.  I
>researched Huntington's Disease in depth after doing a small project and
>becoming interested in HD.  I learned that any science project to be
>done would take 5 to 10 to 20 years and would not be a highschool
>project, so I decided to switch my view to Parkinson's.  I did a little
>bit of research and discovered that it is not yet known for sure if  PD
>has a genetic link.  I thought that would be a great project for me to
>look into (especially considering that if there is a link then I may
>eventually develop the disease!).  My idea is to simply gather enough
>information (case histories of relatives with PD) to do a statistical
>analysis on the genetic link.  If there is any way anyone could help me
>with this project, I would be extremely grateful!
>
>I've gotten my data sheet figured out, so if I could ask a few questions
>it would be a great help.  (I need to have your permission to use this
>information in my study before I get into the fairs and symposia.)  Ok,
>here goes:
>
>1. PWP's name
>2. PWP's location (city, state/province)
>3. PWP's/your E-mail address
>4. PWP's occupation
>5. PWP's relatives with PD (if any) and the following
      info on them as well as PWP
>6. gender
>7. Onset Age (first symptoms)
>8. Diagnosis Age (when doctors diagnosed PD)
>9. Age now
>10. other illnesses PWPs have had
>11. chemicals PWPs have been exposed to
>12. other trauma PWPs have endured
>13. Ethincity of PWPs
>14. Brief history of geopraphic locations PWPs have lived in
>
>Wow!  What a list!  I hope  it's not too hard to track it all down!!
>I understand if you don't know all the info.  Thanks for helping!!
>
>Becky Potts

i am impressed with your project and your enthusiasm!

since every message ever posted to this list [since november 1993]
is stored in the list archives
[on the web at: http://new.parkinsons.org.uk/index.htm]
i have chosen to answer you via the list:

1. PWP's name
= janet paterson
2. PWP's location (city, state/province)
= almonte, ontario, canada
3. PWP's/your E-mail address
4. PWP's occupation
= writer
5. PWP's relatives with PD (if any) and the following
     info on them as well as PWP
= none
6. gender
= female
7. Onset Age (first symptoms)
= 38
8. Diagnosis Age (when doctors diagnosed PD)
= 41
9. Age now
= 51
10. other illnesses PWPs have had
= gall bladder surgery
11. chemicals PWPs have been exposed to
= 'baygon' household spray in bermuda in 1981
12. other trauma PWPs have endured
= head trauma and concussion in bermuda in 1981
13. Ethincity of PWPs
= canadian/scottish/irish/english
14. Brief history of geopraphic locations PWPs have lived in
=toronto, ontario, canada 1947-1981
=bermuda 1981-1997
=almonte, ontario, canada, 1997-1998

in regard to help or advice with your project
i highly recommend the PubMed website
for abstracts of published medical/scientific studies at:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

good luck!

your cyber sibling

janet

a new voice: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
51/10 - endocarb/selegiline/fluoxetine - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson