Bev,

I don't have a problem with your comment about all of this being harder on
the caregiver than the patient.  In fact, in alot of ways, I totally agree
with you.  The caregiver is usually a healthy person, who still has alot of
life in them (not that we pd'ers don't - but we are limited somewhat).  At
least the person who's sick, is well, sick, and they have to deal with it.
It's hard to expect someone who's not to also give up their life too.  I
admit, I don't know that I could do it.  There's a fine line between
honoring the commitment made previously to the person you love, and also
maintaining your own sense of self and purpose (and happiness).  A friend of
mine is dealing with something similar with his wife who is manic
depressive.  A couple years ago, they were almost divorced, as she wan't
taking her medicine and didn't even acknowledge he existed.  He was paying
for all of her medical bills, and she completely blew him off and was living
with her mother in another state for almost two years.  They're back
together now, but I don't think for much longer.  They're both in their
thirties, and he wants a family, etc., and it doesn't look like that's gonna
happen.  I respect him for sticking by her, but I personally feel that even
in this sort of situation, when one's sick and one's not, you've still gotta
meet halfway.  If only one is making all the effort, it's not right, sick or
not.

I'm not implying that this has any bearing on your life, I just brought it
up cuz it's fresh on my mind, as I've been talking to him recently.
Personally, I think he's already made his decision, but he feels too quilty
probably, due to her illness, to go thru with it.   I know that as long as
I'm alive, PD or not, I plan to live as fully as I can.  I don't personally
have a caregiver, (except for my dog!), cuz I'm still single.  Hopefully one
day I'll be married, if not, the duty will fall to my parents (if they're
still here).  It will take a special guy tho'  to make that sort of long
term committment to me, with my pd (it's hard enough to find them anyway I
must say! - no offense to the male list members!).

So anyway, I'm glad to hear that you'll be recruiting participants for
Sunday.  I hope we'll all make a difference, one way or another.

Wendy