On 08/07/98 Jim asked:

>Has anyone switched from Parlodel to Tasmar with a good result?

Two weeks ago my husband dropped the parlodel and began taking Tasmar 3
times a day. These were taken along with his pre-breakfast, lunch and
dinner meds. (1/2 tab of Sinemet 25/100, mirapex 0.5 mg. and a Sinemet CR
25/100) After the first day we realized we had to reduce the Sinemet and
he has now dropped the three Sinemet CR tabs and is taking a half tab of
Sinemet 25/100 about every 2 hours during the day and one CR during the
night. He takes Eldepryl after breakfast and lunch.

The results were spectacular the first day he took Tasmar. His On time
had been very limited, he had been freezing suddenly, and he was
experiencing much tremor, internal and external,in the evening. He slept
poorly. After the first dose of Tasmar he became a dynamo of movement,
going all day without the usual off times and mandatory naps. He was
outside gardening, and was still up watching a movie at midnight, when
I ordered him off to bed. There was a lot of dyskinesia. This abated
after we removed the Sinemet CR from his schedule. He has been sleeping
much better too.

His On times continue to be much longer than before, but he is no longer
so hyperactive. The dyskinesia returns when he is stressed, but is minimal
otherwise. We are pleased that he has been able to reduce the Sinement
intake. There have been no side effects so far.

PD medications seem to affect people in quite different ways, so what
benefits one may not benefit another PWP. Indeed, today's spectacular
success can fizzle out tomorrow and return in full form the next day.
Mostly, the effectiveness of meds seems to be regulated by the degree of
motility of the gut more than anything else. Every new medication is an
adventure in trial and error.

Martha Rohrer CG for Neal, 78/13