JaneRoss wrote:
>My friend who had a bilateral palladotomy about two years  has been unable
>to speak ever since.  He also can't swallow very well (makes throat noises
>at the meetings) Do any of you think colligan would help his speech or
>swallowing problems?? Where have you heard that they are doing this?
>nearest to Oregon.
>
>jjja

Jane,

To answer your question one first needs to know whether the vocal cords are
the source of the speech problem. I had after my one sided pallidotomy also
speech problems; I could not articulate enough to speak in a way which
other people could understand. But nothing was wrong with my vocal cords.
It is a usual complication of pallidotomy and for many surgeons the reason
why they want to do two sided surgery only spaced in time. If your friend's
problem is articulation, maybe a speech therapist can help. I remember the
method of Silverman was mentioned for some time on the list, so I suppose
other listmembers can tell you about that.

Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]