--

Arthur,
     I agree with what's been said here up to a point.  While this may be "as good as it gets" regarding the disease's progression, I have seen in many cases, including my own, an IMPROVEMENT in function because of better control of medication.
     I have learned to not be too accepting of what is happening to me; instead, when my functioning is not up to par, I ask my neuro to help out with a medication change.
     A case in point: By sheer seredipity I stopped taking tasmar and then was going to start taking it again.  Since I was leaving town for a while, my neuro wanted me to wait until I returned in case I had problems.  In the meantime, he prescribed amantadine to tide me over.  I had never taken it before, and noticed a world of difference in the way I felt.  I was tolerating  a lot of dyskinesia on tasmr in order to be able to reduce my sinemet intake.  What a relief to be rid of the dyskinesia and able to function well enough not to dread going out in public.  Needless to say, I've stayed on the amantadine.  If I hadn't tried the change, I never would have known it was possible to feel much better.
     Bill Heitman, whom you met at the PAN Forum, has been doing much better lately, in my opinion.  He seems to have benefited from medication adjustments as much as his pallidotomy, I think.
     So all is not doom and gloom.  While our general direction may be downhill, it's not a direct route, but  encompasses many hills and valleys.   In the meantime, let's get the funding we need to climb the mountain!

Regards,

Pat

http://www.mailexcite.com