Listmembers,

that are yet in my mailbox, I thought it all over and like Arthur Hirsch
I too remembered the "serenity prayer", but in another way than Arthur
Hirsch. For me the link was not the aspect of "nothing new", but more
"when will we ever learn".

Two of the main problem objects on the list were recently: the
difficulties with the funding of research, that would possibly in the
near future result in PD being a curable disease and those horrible
stories about what people have to go through when they need  some
financial help from social security or disability funds. The story of
Ivan, who is alone and needs somebody to look after him, but cannot
afford it, and can neither have it financed, is a sad example.      =20

Yet another thing struck me : In a letter that was written to a congres
member or to a paper, it was highly stressed that asking the money for
research was in no way something like begging , because it would turn out
to be. as far as money goes, a profitable investment. In putting  this
forward as an argument one averts to be required to use an in the long
run more sound argument, which is something like increasing the quality
of life. Only if it is conceptualised this way, the cry of Ivan does not=20
necessarely have to compete with the cry for more research. The financial
problems of PWP's, who need money to have an acceptable existence with
their disease, can be solved straightforward  by money. The results of=20
spending money on that, will be something positive, but not easy to
measure in money  profits. The serenity prayer, says something like ( I
don't know the exact words)  "give me the strength to change  what can be
changed"; we know for sure that the financial problems like Ivan or Barb
have them, can relatively easy be solved. The money spend on it will not
be "lost". The same is not so sure of money for research. We can't
predict what exactly will be the result of research. We can only guess
that humanity will not soon be freed from all incurable diseases it is
now suffering from. So it will not be useless to think about how to
manage the problems this causes and what every decent society should do
for the victims. If possible the most important thing is of course to
beat the Enemy itself by reasearch. If that is not, or not yet, possible
many things can be done,  and we as victims know  how worthwhile it may
be to us. We, including our caregivers, know that  better than healthy
people because they often are not able  to imagine that life with an
incurable disease might be worthwhile anyhow. So this aspect should have
some attention too in campaigns for visibility. If not, the attitude that
patients who can't be cured are "lost" anyhow and money spend on
"band-aids" is lost money, will be strengthened.

Regards, Ida Kamphuis

P.S. for Ronald Vetter:

I tried to  create this text using Windows notepad  (txt-file), but no
dice. I could not transport that file into e-mail. So I used, as of old,
Word 6. Sorry!</bigger></fontfamily>

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]