        The fact that we do not move while sleeping probably contributes
to the stiffness and other aches and pains. Surgeons and nurses, when
preparing a patient for surgery (especially a long session) are very
careful to position the patient and support certain areas with small
pillows to prevent pressure at critical points for blood circulation.
This would not be quite as critical in a bed (softer surface) as on a
hard operating table, but it still would have an effect. I suspect it's
those trips to the bathroom that keeps us going (Ha-Ha!). By the way, a
friend about my age who takes diuretics for high blood pressure told me
his secret for going to the bathroom during the night and minimizing the
sleep interruption. He sits down on the stool rather than the
conventional stand up method, and he doesn't have to remember to raise
and lower the seat. He also does not flush the stool until the next
morning. Avoiding all this water noise allows him to stay closer to the
sleep state and he dozes back off quickly when back in bed. His wife
really appreciates it, also---no cleaning up the next morning.

        Darwin Hawkins