Dear List-family....

WOWIE!  I've just had a week long education on promotional
items, plus an lesson about the major national PD organizations.

Last week I contacted the company that did the promotional
items I used when I had my own business.  I got a complete
cost breakdown for PD pins (several different design choices),
T-shirts, painters-caps, sweatshirts, and pens and
scratchpads (just wanted to cover everything that might be of
value as a PD promo item).  We were offered a 10%
discount immediately, once I mentioned any items ordered
would be to encourage Parkinson's awareness amongst
the general populace, with a possible additional 5%.

While I felt the prices to be very reasonable, there appears
to me to be a coupla major problems in starting a project
such we discussed here on the List over the past few weeks.

The national organization - the NPF - I spoke with turned
down the opportunity to provide us the with seed money we'd
need to make our initial order (what EVER it was we
decided to order), stating that they are solicited daily by
assorted PD support groups and individuals looking for similar
assistance.  I'm inclined to believe the other national PD orgs.
are also bombarded by such requests (tho I haven't called any
additional ones yet as my mom had a medical emergency the
past few days and I've been busy that)

There's no problem in having a terrific pin of just about any
design, (and I still prefer the hourglass with "TIME IS
RUNNING OUT") on it, but for an order to be placed, we must
order in bulk, which would cost several hundred dollars, plus
a $20 setup fee.  The individual pins run from $1.40  each for
a lot of 300, with the cost-per-pin decreasing a bit with
increasingly larger orders - by 500-pin-lots.

Frankly, I'm at an impasse with this and can't muster up the interest and/or
energy right now to take it any further (the daily problems with my mother's
declining health, coupled with her having dementia, plus the miserable daily
100+ degree heat have  REALLY wiped me out!).

Are there any volunteers in the wings willing to pick up the baton and run
with it (so to speak) regarding the PD pins/other items?  If so, I'd be happy
to forward the catalogs that were sent to me, plus provide an introduction (if
desired) to the promo-sales-rep I've dealt with.

Golly, I wish it was December or January already! <sweltering away here in
L.A's San Fernando Valley)

Barb Mallut