Dear Terry,
There's no conclusive proof that any particular vitamin or mineral will
mitigate the symptoms of PD, unfortunately. Vitamin E has been studied in that
regard, but a large, well-designed study showed no slowing of PD progression
with use of vitamin E supplements. However, some physicians disagree with
current research, and continue to prescribe E for their patients.

Of greater concern, from my point of view as a registered dietitian, is the
fact that PWP often change the kind and/or amount of foods they eat, such that
vital nutrients are missing from their diet for long periods of time. This can
cause frank deficiencies; and some of these deficiencies' symptoms are very
similar to some of the symptoms of PD. I suspect that a number of PWP have an
underlying nutrient deficiency that goes undetected, because few are referred
to registered dietitians. I routinely ask my clients for a 3-day food record,
as well as other information; and 9 times out of ten I find serious dietary
lack.

Most of my clients would benefit from a multi-vitamin/mineral daily, along with
a calcium supplement. Those over age 50 who are not anemic should use a
supplement that contains no iron, or only a very small amount (One-A-Day
50-Plus, Centrum Silver) as iron may play a role in heart disease in later
years.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--