This is directed especially to all those that participated, or at least
followed with interest, the thread on
driving that ran in the last two months.

Many listmembers made thoughtful contributions on what criteria to use an=
when to know, at what point
it is still prudent and safe to drive and at what point to quit. As I hav=
seen around me, many =

are capable of making a good assessment for themselves.
Some made the decision to quit on the simple realization that they don't
feel safe.
I don't believe that there are many people who need to go through the
misery of a collision or
other accident to bring themselves up short and realize the necessity of
not exposing
loved ones, or strangers to the results of a wrong judgment

I love to drive and I have a good record. We like to pull a travel traile=
and visit the wonderful places that this country offers. As a test this
spring we made a trip to Arizona. As usual I drove because =

of the extra requirements associated with pulling a trailer.
I found that as long as I drove in the morning, while still being rested
and fresh, there was no problem.
Later in the morning and after lunch break, I had increasingly trouble wi=
th
drowsiness.
It was pretty apparent that I could not drive under those circumstances, =
so
my wife and CG who the last =

few years has been accumulating time in driving this rig, had a gradually=

increasing share of the
driving, to the point that, on the way back, she did most of it.
At home though I still drove on small errands, like going to physical
therapy classes, without any problem.

Recently my wife attended a CG meeting where someone told of a case where=
driver with PD was =

involved in an accident. He got sued for all he had due to the simple fac=
that he had PD.
Specific details of the accident were not important. He just should not
have been driving.
This puts a decidedly different spin on the question and we decided that =
not drive anymore.

I wonder now if this is putting the question in too severe a light. Would=

strongly increased liability
coverage not accomplish the same thing? I see drivers with considerably
more severe cases
of handicap still driving and there are thousands with unsafe vehicles
because they cannot =

afford better ones.

I would like to invite some comments from readers. =

Will A. Kuipers       ( 77 / 7 )

  =