--------------8F3815B77850053832C53F3D

> Many drugs have both a good side and a bad side

Dear Janet:

I tried to look into this article to verify its accuracy.  By and large
it is OK but there are several errors that crept into the text which
presumably was written by a science reporter rather than a chemist.
No one individual has two hands identical to each other nor two feet,
whereas enantiomers or optical isomers are indeed  identical to each
other in every respect except that the D-isomer (for dextro) will rotate
polarized light in one direction and the L-isomer (for levo) will rotate
polarized light in the opposite direction.  In fact that is one method
of characterizing these compounds.
Chloramphenicol is even more complex because the synthetic product
contains two different structural isomers and each with two optical
isomers, for a total of four.  On the other hand, nature is more
efficient by producing the one that provides the  really efficacious
antibiotic.
These little errors throughout the text may not be significant to most,
but nonetheless, one should strive for accuracy in the media.

Be well, Janet, I really do enjoy reading your contributions from Canada
as much as I did
from Bermuda.

with love to all

Michel Margosis

> (August 13, 1998 00:30 a.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) -- Hold the palm of
> your left hand in front of a mirror. It reflects an image of your right hand.
> Your right hand reflects an image of your left hand. Each foot also is a
> mirror image of the other.
>
> The same mirror image effect exists on an invisible scale in the molecules
> that make up medicines and other chemical compounds. It is fostering a quiet
> revolution in the design of safer, more effective drugs for millions of
> patients.
>
> A molecule of a drug is the smallest unit that can exist and still have the
> drug's properties. Molecules are made from atoms of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen,
> and other elements linked or bonded together in precise three-dimensional
> architectures.
>
> Drugs and other chemical compounds with the mirror image effect are called
> "chiral" drugs. They exist in two molecular forms, usually termed the "D" or
> right-handed form and the "S" or left-handed form.

--------------8F3815B77850053832C53F3D

<HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>Many drugs have both a good side and a bad side</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Dear Janet:

<P>I tried to look into this article to verify its accuracy.&nbsp; By and
large it is OK but there are several errors that crept into the text which
presumably was written by a science reporter rather than a chemist.
<BR>No one individual has two hands identical to each other nor two feet,
whereas enantiomers or optical isomers are indeed&nbsp; identical to each
other in every respect except that the D-isomer (for dextro) will rotate
polarized light in one direction and the L-isomer (for levo) will rotate
polarized light in the opposite direction.&nbsp; In fact that is one method
of characterizing these compounds.
<BR>Chloramphenicol is even more complex because the synthetic product
contains two different structural isomers and each with two optical isomers,
for a total of four.&nbsp; On the other hand, nature is more efficient
by producing the one that provides the&nbsp; really efficacious antibiotic.
<BR>These little errors throughout the text may not be significant to most,
but nonetheless, one should strive for accuracy in the media.

<P>Be well, Janet, I really do enjoy reading your contributions from Canada
as much as I did
<BR>from Bermuda.

<P>with love to all

<P>Michel Margosis
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>
(August 13, 1998 00:30 a.m. EDT <A HREF="http://www.nandotimes.com">http://www.nandotimes.com</A>) -- Hold the palm of
your left hand in front of a mirror. It reflects an image of your right hand.
Your right hand reflects an image of your left hand. Each foot also is a
mirror image of the other.

The same mirror image effect exists on an invisible scale in the molecules
that make up medicines and other chemical compounds. It is fostering a quiet
revolution in the design of safer, more effective drugs for millions of
patients.

A molecule of a drug is the smallest unit that can exist and still have the
drug's properties. Molecules are made from atoms of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen,
and other elements linked or bonded together in precise three-dimensional
architectures.

Drugs and other chemical compounds with the mirror image effect are called
"chiral" drugs. They exist in two molecular forms, usually termed the "D" or
right-handed form and the "<I><U><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">S</FONT></U></I>" or left-handed form.</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------8F3815B77850053832C53F3D--