Morbus Parkinson. Parkinson's disease. How I hate the word DISEASE. I now
have a new word for Parkinson's disease thanks to Jerry Finch. PWP, People
with Parkinson. How would it be if the word disease could be stricken from
the medical dictionaries when it comes to Parkinson. If all of the medical
world involved would use the initials PWP people with Parkinson or
individually a person with Parkinson. There would no longer be any need for
the word disease, where PWPs are concerned. I well remember the feelings I
had when I heard the words diagnosis Parkinson's disease. The word Parkinson
meant very little to me then but the word disease frightened the hell out of
me. I thought at the time that I would have to die in a short space of time.
I looked through all of the medical literature that I could lay my hands on
and read it thoroughly. It was then and only then that I began to calm down.
My plea, Members of the Medical Fraternity and all those people that in one
way or another have any thing to do with Parkinson's please obliterate the
word disease. A whole lot of people will thank You for not using this word.
Parkinson is a bothersome thing that will eventually be controlled with some
new drug with no side effects. That is my hope for all of us that are PWPs
Bern