Bernard Shaw wrote:
>How I hate the word DISEASE. I now
>have a new word for Parkinson's disease thanks to Jerry Finch. PWP, People
>with Parkinson. How would it be if the word disease could be stricken from
>the medical dictionaries when it comes to Parkinson. If all of the medical
>world involved would use the initials PWP people with Parkinson or
>individually a person with Parkinson. There would no longer be any need for
>the word disease, where PWPs are concerned.

I support your concern, Bernard. One of our Chapter members here in
Halifax-Dartmouth (Nova Scotia),Bob Symons, launched a world-wide campaign
against the 'D' word -- as he put it. Bob was a former chapter President and
died in May 1997. Bob became famous or perhaps a bit notorious in Canada for
his campaign and he succeeded in getting the Parkinson Foundation of Canada
to officially dispense with the term in its publications. Bob was so
determined he went around striking out the 'D' word wherever he found it --
sometimes a little too aggressively for those of us who have a sense of
history. He was not shy to publicly criticism medical authorities about
their continued use of it.

Bob carried his campaign around the world and was in frequent correspondence
with Parkinsonians and Parkinson organazations in many countries.

Bob was also quite famous in our group for his annual Christmas music hall
routine (Bob was a Brit by birth) of a deck hand swabbing down the deck
singing "You'll get used to it..."  But he never could get used to the 'D'
word.

Bets to everyone,

Peter

PS to Gail and Jerry -- I haven't forgotten, just a bit of procrastination
on Bradykenisia.

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]