Nan,  I was first made aware of the mask effect one day while waiting in
outpatients. A nurse that was passing by told me to smile. That the Doctors
could help with nearly all illnesses these days. There was no need for me to
look as I did. But the first time that it really hit me was when a six year
old child said" Why does Uncle Bern look so sad." How to answer a small
child. That was not really my task; but the parents good friends of mine,
said that Uncle Bern has a lot of problems that is why my face was a mask,
or as the child put it "So sad," Since then I try my hardest to smile and
believe me it sometimes hurts trying to force a mask to smile.
Other times I can laugh with the best of them and the mask disappears. God
Bless. Bern