From: Paul-W. Turloff <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Thank you
Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 12:14 AM

I  write to the list since Barb was kind enough to make me welcome and
suggest that I my introduce myself. I decided to subscribe to the list to
find out what might be new and worth knowing about the Parkinson condition
and I find lots of folks seem to be ? worse of than myself.  I am 66 years
old and I suffered a stroke in 1993, I was lucky,  it took time but I got
things together again and eventually with lots of physio I learned to walk
again and do things but I had to retire from working,(I was a Building
Surveyor) that's when depression set in. The stroke left my left side
disabled to some degree and I seemed to be left with a tremor in my left
hand, no one took any notice of that at the time as I had bigger problems.
Two years ago I was finally diagnosed with Parkinson however, just then I
entered Hospital because to top things of for me I hade a tumour at the
entry to the stomach and so once more this was worse than the Parkinson
problem and no treatment was commenced for a another year. I had six month
of chemo therapy and for the time I seem to be clear of that ( my
oncologist say's I am 18 month past my use-by date!) So the treatment for
the Parkinson decease has only started this year  and as I am also on other
medication I am starting to rattle and I suppose every one knows that every
medication needs another to fight the side effects of the first. What I
find difficult is the fact that Parkinson not only causes the trembling but
so many other things which I did not recognise and many of my symptoms are
confused with the after affects from my stroke. The absolute worse in all
this I find is the depression I suffer and then again sometimes I think the
Prozac is worse than the decease, or is it? Two years ago when I went down
with the cancer my dog died and that did not help but now I have a new dog
again and started to go walking again,(very slowly).
When I look at the list I find every one seems to be from the US of A so I
leave you with a smile:

A Texan farmer goes to Australia for a vacation.
There he meets an Aussie farmer and gets talking. The Aussie shows off
his big wheat  field and the Texan says, "Oh! We have wheat fields
that are at least twice as large." Then they walk around the ranch a
little, and the
Aussie shows off his herd of cattle. The Texan immediately says, "We
have
longhorns that are at least twice as large as your cows."
The conversation has, meanwhile, almost died when the Texan
sees a herd of kangaroos hopping through the field.
He asks, "And what are those?" The Aussie replies with an
incredulous  look, "Don't you have any grasshoppers in Texas?

Paul Turloff.