Jane, I was born a New Yorker, and though I am VERY glad to living in Florida
since 1958, New York is like nowhere else in the world.  I suggest a visit to
the top of the Empire State Building, try to see a Broadway, or off Broadway
Show, check out the South Street Seaport, Ride the subway system.  Take a trip
to Times Square.  New York is noisy, exciting, scary at times, but never
boring.  You could live there all your life and not run out of things to do!
Don't be careless with personal possessions, don't get involved with "street
games" that you cannot win (all of them) You can find any kind of food you can
name, and often the best of it's kind.  If you like Chinese food, visit China
Town, Italian Food, Little Italy.  I haven't been back for years, but I am
sure you'll have fun.  If you have a chance to see the ancient movie with
Sandy Dennis and Jack Lemon "The Out of Towners" before you go, check it out,
but only for a good laugh, it is highly exaggerated.  Let us all know what you
do, when you return.  Have fun.