We didn't even have a television at our house until I was 17 years old,
much less a VCR! I remember the family in the late 40's going to a
service station 25 miles away up in the Ozark mountains to see a
television show. There actually had chairs set up inside the
station/grocery store for visitors to see the TV. All I remember is
seeing faint outlines of people/things and a lot of snow! I'm from the
Lone Ranger, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon (On King! Mush you huskies!),
Sky King, The Green Hornet, Superman, Inner Sanctum, "Pluck your magic
twanger, Froggie", etc. days on radio. Sure made you use  your
imagination!!! Come to think of it, the TV with all the snow made you
use you imagination, too! I would get home from school, fix a bread and
mayonnaise sandwich, pour a glass of fresh milk from the jar stored in
the cistern (had to mix up the cream) and set down and listen to my
radio adventures (on a very large battery operated radio (we did not yet
have electricity) while doing my homework. I have to admit my three sons
grew up with Winnie and Tigger, though. Tigger is my kind of guy. Never
took anything too serious and had a lot of fun on the way!