List friends,

The chapter will have its annual fund raiser the last Sunday of September.
In past years we have had walk-a-thons. We raised money - people gave but
almost no one walked. This year we are trying an "Exer-thon" where anyone
who shows up  at an Ocean City, Maryland health club can try out exercise
machines, see how warm-ups and cool-downs work, etc.

The time is at the end of Sunfest - a citywide festival designed to draw
the older tourists rather than the school kids. We are considering several
premiums to give contributors - and add a little more income.  The premiums
carry ads for local businesses, and the ads more than pay for the premiums.
 We know many will expect T-shirts. The past two years we have also had
some tote bags [jute bags with round bamboo handles which are easy to carry
- extremely utilitarian and long lasting--and the handles do not cut into
the fingers even with a fairly heavy load of books & stuff].  Sponsoring
businesses get their name/logo on the bags, shirts, etc.

I'm looking for new ideas.  I'm considering using dish towels this year -
along with T-shirts[any size you want so long as it is extra large]. Wife
washes  - I dry. We do not put good china, silverware, most pits & pans,
knives, etc. in the dishwasher. A good big all cotton dish towel -the kind
one used to make from flour sacks- is attractive to me, but wife thinks
people would not go for them.  Little dish towels get dropped & won't dry
much . Fancy towels absorb water almost as well as waxed paper. Any
comments?  I think I can get a few dozen by twisting a sponsor's arm very
gently for little or nothing and print ads & our logo for 25-35 cents each.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road
Salisbury MD 21804 USA 410-543-0110