Hello Ken, I am not taking you to task for transmitting a 1.8 Mbyte JPEG
picture to the list (!) - I suspect it was a genuine accident and was
intended for Don only? however, if you want to transmit large files on
the internet, I would advise you to read up on how to save bandwidth.
For example, your system transmitted not only your picture, but the
white border around the picture; an area (at a rough guess) 4 times
the area of the picture! I'm sure your image processing program allows
you to fit a frame around the picture and crop the unwanted white border
away.
At a more advanced level, you transmitted the entire image which you
scanned at quite a high resolutiom (about 22milliom bytes before the
compression system of the JPEG format brought it down to a more
manageable 1.8 million bytes. However, the picture is really only intended
to be viewed on a monitor screen, and even a hi-res mode like 1280 x 1024
only contains about 1.3million pixels (say 100K after JPEG compression).

And it doesn't stop there: You can save a lot of file space by converting
the picture from 24bits per pixel (32000 shades of colour) to 256 bpp (256
shades. You lose some quality, but your file is 1/3 of the original size.

I hope this information is of some use- I am sure that others on the list
will let you know the extent of your slip-up!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>