Hello all,

The editor in me can't refrain from making a comment on this issue. It's
probably more than anyone on the list wants to know, but what the heck. We
Canadians have a split personality on the question because of our history.
As Canadians on the list know, this argument arises regularly in Canada.

Here is an extract from my copy of Fowler's English Usage and as always, in
my opinion, Fowler makes good sense.

=======================================
-our and -or.  The American abolition of -our in such words as honour and
favour has probably retarded rather than quickened English progress in the
same direction.  Our first notification that the book we are reading is not
English but American is often, nowadays, the sight of an -or, 'Yankee' we
say, and congratulate ourselves on spelling like gentlemen; we wisely
decline to regard it as a matter for argument.  The English way cannot but
be better than the American way; that is enough. Most of us, therefore, do
not come to the question with an open mind.  Those who are willing to put
national prejudice aside and examine the facts soon realize, first, that the
British -our words are much fewer in proportion to the -or words than they
supposed, and, secondly, that there seems to be no discoverable line between
the two sets so based on principle as to serve any useful purpose.  By the
side of favour there is horror , beside ardour pallor, beside odour tremor,
and so forth.  Of agent nouns saviour (with its echo paviour, itself now
tending towards pavior) is perhaps the only one that retains -our, governor
being the latest to shed its -u -. What is likely to happen is either that,
when some general reform of spelling is consented to, reduction of -our
to -or will be one of the least disputed items, or that, failing general
reform, we shall see word after word in -our go the way of governour. It is
not worth while either to resist such a gradual change or to fly in the face
of national sentiment by trying to hurry it; it would need a very open mind
indeed in an Englishman to accept armor and succor with equanimity.  Those
who wish to satisfy themselves that it is right to deny any value to
the -our spelling should go to the article -or in the OED for fuller
information than there is room for here.
=====================

 TTFN
Peter

PS: I still lean to using the 'our' form, but have gradually dropped other
redundant consonants and vowels such as the second 'm' in program (and of
course, the extraneous 'e'. However, I do find it hard to accept American
pronunciation of 'program' as 'pog-ram'!  Maybe Americans should go back to
'programme.':)

PPS: Canadians are all over the map on this spelling issue and it is
partially regional.

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]