Dear Gina--that was a very moving and eloquent message, and one that made
me wonder if "way back when" we might have been in the same Peace Marches!
We do live in a violent culture and society, and now that I have a
grandson, who is 10 years old, I realize he will be at risk, and worry
about the messages he gets from the cartoons, Tv and movies, as you said.
He is, now, a very compassionate, loving and gentle little guy, and I hope
he can hold onto those qualities when he hits adolescence!  I'm sorry about
your brother, and all the others who were aacrificed one way or another in
the VietNam era. And it doesn't help when ex-Sec'y. Robert MacNamara
finally admits (in his book) the things he should have said to his boss
back then--mybe they would have helped end the war sooner!
It's not only PD research of course that is sacrificed to the "needs" of
the military-industrial complex that Eisenhower warned about--so many
programs that would help people get cut out of the budget, along with
things like medical research.
Gosh-- I did get carried away--no offense meant to anyone, and thanks for
sharing your thoughts.  And yes, you did tell us about the new doc, and
that you liked her.That's great!

Gina wrote in part:

SNIPPED
 Our children play with war toys, the
>cartoons are horrid, the computer games are all battles.  I'm not saying we
>teach our children war games, but we don't do anything deter them.
SNIPPED
 I am sorry Jim that I sound cynical or laksidasical I was
>in the 60's Peace Marches.  I watched as my male friends marched to war (Viet
>Nam) and never came back.  Oh some did come back as drug addicts, hopeless wet
>brains, instutitionalizd, or just waiting to die.  Man was pitted against man,
>young men arrested for not wanting to go to war, as old white haired
>politicians made the choices for us.  My brother left the country. Never to
>return, shattered family,shattered dreams.
 SNIPPED
 Our country was split in half
>because we (younger) had no concept of what older generation wanted.  Yet when
>they came home from Nam look how the were treated.
SNIPPED
 It is a very dear subject to me.   And I feel this way for
>all of you.  We were blessed with so much and so many times we have to see
>what is important.  We all are.  I was sent to serve  purpose to give back a
>gift, and I'm trying to do that.   I do have hugs for all of you
>{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{PD
>LIST}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
>I'm tired I had a trip to chicago - new doctor.  I thought I sent a message,
>but if not that's ok.
>TTFN
>Gina

        Shalom, Camilla                       <[log in to unmask]>

                #  "In matters of conscience,  #
                #       the law of majority       #
                #           has no place."             #
                #     ---Mohandas K. Gandhi     #