Stan or Joan Snyder wrote:

> Dear Andy: I have read more complex explanations of scientific
> procedures in my son's  "Magic School Bus" books! While I appreciate the
> fact that the more pallidotomies that you can  have performed, the more
> machines you sell; your company's description of the operation and the
> risks involved is a bit understated
> and in my opinion: oversimplified. As a 47 year old survivor of two
> pallidotomies at the hands of an incredibly gifted surgeon, I know
> firsthand the things that can go wrong! One slight slip, a nick, really;
> and I couldn't walk or talk, dress or bathe myself, eat or have two
> continuos thoughts going for two months. I attribute the fact that I
> have made it back to wherever it is that I am now
> to my Faith, to sheer luck & finally, determination. I do fell that all
> PWP's need to have this information and to be able to look at it as an
> option; but I don't think your storybook (yes, I found almost all of the
> pictures at least storybook-like & at
> the extreme-offensive!) adequately prepares the PWP to make that
> decision. I'm sorry to be so hard on your presentation. Maybe I'm a PWP
> with PMS! Egad
> man-I hate that first picture...put a diaper on him & put him out to
> pasture!
>      Anyway, now I've gotten myself so riled up that I almost
> forgot-wasn't Irving Mills a composer, also. Seems to me I had a framed
> piece of sheet music by him
> hanging in my room back in my art deco daze!
>
> --
> Joan Snyder (47/8) "Do or do not. There is no try."-Yoda
> http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/snyder/page1.htm

Dear Joan, I've included your whole message to make sure we haven't
missed something- Where you mention "a slight slip, a nick" do you
mean your pallidotomy was done via open surgery, with a scalpel? How
long ago was that? I thought that pallidotomy is done not with a
knife-like tool but a needle-like probe, with much less danger of
what you describe (The benefit of pallidotomy in PD was indeed
discovered by accident, during open surgery for removal of a large
tumor from a patient who happened also to have PD). And the risk
of injury from a misplaced lesion (usually done now by RF heating)
or puncturing a blood vessel is still there. So I'd really like to
know, was your operation(s) done with a knife or a needle? More
details please. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694