Date:   Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:09:36 -0700
From:   "George J. Lussier" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Mr BLATZ/Pallidotomy Patient Information

Mr. Blatz,
You describe yourself as a previous contributor to this list so I will
treat you as such. I'm generally nicer to guests.
Thank you?
1.I hate illustrations when something better is available like real
photographs. I travel a bit showing the video of my 2nd pallidotomy to
various groups and no one has made a beeline for the door.So Mr.Blatz could
I interest you in high quality color photos or a video, professionally
shot?
Absolutely.  The question is, will someone else complain that a photograph,
presumably of you, is not representative of PWP?  It might be best to just
leave that particular figure out entirely.
Think it over and while you are doing so please feel free to visit me at my
web site.    http://www.ultranet.com/~glussier/
Will do.
2. May I assume that you make a salary of $150,000-200,000 a year and a
bonus based on performance. Top management draws about a million? Is that a
fair guess? I know I'm pushing on what is reasonable to ask but basically
I'm just trying to establish that you represent a profit making company.
That being true...
Not even close.  Must be some other companies that you are talking about.
  If they have any openings I would be delighted to hear.   Up until four
years ago I was on the faculty of a medical school in Texas where I earned
a typically low academic salary.  I started at my present job when I moved
out here to California at only a slightly higher salary level.  Last year,
my bonus would not have made the downpayment on a Subaru lease.  I spent
approximately 12 years involved in the research of PD at the cellular level
with funding from national (NIH, NPF) and regional sources.  Keep in mind
that the company that I work for is pretty small.  Sure we try to make a
profit.  If we didn't, then we wouldn't be able to make any medical devices
to improve surgery for movement disorders and I wouldn't have a job.
3. Where are you on capital hill and how are you supporting passage of the
appropriation of at least $100,000,000 for the next 3 years for PD
Research?
My company does most of its lobbying efforts through being a major sponsor
of the Society for Neuroscience, a large national organization of
scientists who's members do most of the basic and clinical research for PD
and all other neurological diseases.  By pooling our contributions with
those of other companies through the Soc. For Neuroscience we get more done
in terms of lobbying effort.   Of course, we have written letters to
Congress supporting the measure.
My company also directly funds, through unrestricted grants, basic and
clinical research in several PD centers.
Do you have a lobbyist working on it or are you part of a lobby group?
See above.
 What kind of a budget do you have for lobbying for PD?
None specifically for PD.  The Society for Neuroscience lobbies for
research dollars for all neurological deseases.
 How many PWP have have you financially sponsored in going to Washington to
tell their stories?
None.
 Would you be interested in supporting a Children's March for PD on
Washington?
Maybe.  Have you requested that we contribute?
 Perhaps you could share some information about such matters that would let
us know that you are in the trenches right along with us PWP
Thanking you kindly for listening. I await your answers
George J. LussierAmazing grace! How sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
was blind, but now I see.

Best wishes,