Lanier, I think you have hit the nail on the head.  Do ANYTHING else first.
Surgery should be the very last resort.  My husband has found relief with
acupuncture.  The pain is not all gone but it is now tolerable whereas
before it was pure agony.  He is now experiencing pain in the back of his
leg  and another acupuncture treatment has again brought relief.  He also
goes to massage therapy about every three weeks.  The massage works the
lactic acid out of the muscles that are cramping and helps them relax. This
is deep massage, not the easy stuff most people go for.

Tomorrow we go see his primary doctor.  I am going to push hard to have him
write a prescription for acupuncture and see if the HMO will honor it.
Later I will try for a massage prescription. Will let you know what happens.