Dear Bruce-- you really spoke to an important point about the volume of
list traffic. I know this concerns our "fearless leader", Barb Patterson
ALL THE TIME and she would MUCH appreciate the sort of restraint you
propose.

Remember, friends that EVERYTHING you post to the list goes to the
archives--which were so full the other day as to be unusable!  The "thank
you Joe", posts, the "me too"s, the multiple responses when there's a
technical problem with the list,  EVERYTHING!

I'm sure others feel as I do at times that not to reply may be "rude"--but
is it really necessary for 1600+ people around the world to know that I
thanked Ms.X?

At times, it has been suggested that the list be divided, with part just
for serious PD matters, and part for fun and socializing....this has never
been what was wanted by most members.  But individual restraint, as Bruce
suggests, would help SO MUCH--ans we who are already here can set an
example for newbies---
if we remember NOT to use "reply to the list" for messages that are
intended for one person, not to be the umpteenth person to complain about
volume of messages, (which  increases the volume!) not to send attachments,
or complain about them if  others have already done so---to pay attention
to the instructions Barb send out, and save for future use, so as not to
clog the list with commands which can only work if sent to the listserv,
not copying the entire post we are answering,---I'm sure Barb has other
suggestions also!

And Bruce, in my Eudora Pro email program I can  just HIGHLIGHT, COPY, and
then PASTE an address into a new message, which takes about as long as
hitting "reply", and goes only to one person--surely other mail programs
can offer this easy option.