hi patricia

you wrote:
>Months before I was diagnosed with Parkinsons,
>I started having bad leg cramps (mostly in calfs).
>These cramps increase when I walk and decrease
>when I lay down.

in other words,
the cramps start up when the muscles are in use
and then the cramps dissipate when the muscles are at rest?

>I first thought I might have a blockage because
>my cholesterol was 280. The MRI showed I have
>two herniated discs, L4 and L5, plus scoliosis
>with degenerative changes.

>Now the cramps are back. When I walk, my right leg swells.
>When I lay down, it goes down again. This is very painfull.

can you clairfy the timing here?
1. when did you first notice pd symptoms?
2. when were you diagnosed?
3. when did you start sinemet? is it CR or 'instant' ? at what dosage level?
4. when did you increase the sinemet? to what dosage level?

at each of the above critical events
what were your symptoms beforehand,
and how did they change, if they did, afterwards ?

>I take Sinemet 50/200 four times a day and Prozac.

even though you had pd symptoms for many years prior to diagnosis
and even though pd is so different in each one of us
800 mgs per day of levodopa sounds quite high
especially for a relative 'newbie' to pd
and especially in this day and age
when there are so many choices of meds out there
which can be used effectively prior to starting on levodopa

>When I first started having the cramps,
>I had not yet been diagnosed with PD
>and was not taking Sinemet.

i also noticed muscle cramping prior to diagnosis
but, to use very broad terms, my pd is the 'stiffness' type
and yours is the 'tremour' type

when i started sinemet, the medication was effective in that
it would cause the muscle stiffness and rigidity would 'melt' away

>The neurosurgeon says surgery,
>a chiropracter says adjustments,
>my neurologist says PD.
>Does anyone have any advice?
>Any input would be appreciated.

i would think long and hard before taking any surgery route
and i would want to get at least one other expert opinion

however, the adjustments done by a chiropractor cannot do any harm
and may do some good, so why not try that first?

the cramps may very well be related to pd

since you are so new to sinemet, [less than a year?]
and since your dosage was doubled recently [a month ago?]
i think it would be a good idea
to do some detective work and analysis in this area

a detailed daily or hourly diary
noting med intake times, food intake times and symptom description
might give you some insight to what's happening

you asked awhile back about movement disorder clinics
i wonder if you have found one yet?

a thorough detailed evaluation at such a clinic could be beneficial,
if only to relieve any doubts you may have about your current medical care

some doctors may have taken 'god 101' in medical school
but no one knows your own body and its working condition like you do
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, etc etc

since there is still a lot of misinformation out there
and since the medical community is comprised of fallible human beings
just like us
we need to become our own best patient advocates
in dealing with this 'designer disease'

please let us know of your progress

your cyber-sibling

janet

a new voice: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson