Date:   Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:56:26 -0700
From:   "George J. Lussier" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Mr BLATZ/Pallidotomy Patient Information PART 2

Dear Mr. Lussier,

Below are my responses to your queries.  I am not entirely clear about your
intentions, but if one of them is to discourage representatives from
companies involved in PD-related products from openly providing information
to this list, then you are doing a fine job.  I think that everybody
believes that companies that profit from medical products have a
responsibility to the patient community that pays the bills.  I think to
single out one company, such as Axon, because an employee contributes to
this list will do nothing except encourage me not to seek input from
listmembers, nor to contribute openly.

Mr.Blatz,
Good morning! It is now 6:30am EST Acton Ma.time.First I want to thank you
for your openness and for working on Saturday. I've been up since
about 5am to continue my internet search for dollar information regarding
Axon and the Society for Neuroscience. Of course there is no flashing arrow
pointing to Axon Inst. "THE BOOKS----> How much do they contribute to the
Society?" You said you were with a small company but I thought you might
just belong to one of the exchanges. Nope. No SEC filings, Nope.As for the
society.being a society of individuals, they don't list a thing about their
major contributors.Couldn't come up with your name either not that I
expected to but....

There are 21 "Sustaining Associate Members" of the Society for Neuroscience
(with a total membership of approx. 25,000), listed on Page xix of their
current Directory.  These include many of the large pharmaceutical
companies and a few device manufacturers such as Axon.  A phone call to
them would verify this.  As for the dollar amount, I don't know.  Axon is a
private company, so there would be no SEC filings.

So I must ask you if you [or someone else you may wish to pass me on to but
I doubt you would feel the need to] could pry open the books and tell me
about profit, $ to the Society and other contributions. You know, a
Financial Report. By the way I don't have any problem with the "for profit"
concept. However I do believe that Businesses need to have a social
responsibility to turn back a portion of their profits to their
"communities" And I, Mr. Blatz,
am part of Axon's "community"
Any thoughts on how I might get a look at the books of the society? A "No"
answer would be acceptable

I have no idea whether or not the Society allows people to look at their
books.  Since they are a non-profit organization, they probably have to.
 Axon Instruments is private, and therefore guards its financial status
carefully, as do all private companies.   And so, no, I will not give to
you a figure of "profit-to-PD donations".   Do you really think that any
private company in the world would provide you with this information?

Backing up a bit to another issue. I wasn't suggesting that you replace
your lead graphic with a photograph but rather that you substitute
photographs for nearly ALL of your illustrations. I have several great
photos of my brain from a MRI viewpoint. If you can't find it on my website
be sure to ask. I have some 8+ hours of video tapes

The CD, from whence came the content on the Patient Information part of our
web site was produced by a company that specializes in these sorts of
products.  They use drawings mostly because they can recycle the same ones
in different CD's.  When necessary, they make new ones specific for the
particular surgical procedure.   I would like to keep in touch with you so
that we might arrange to use some of the material on your web site as it
expands.

One further clarification:
I asked:  Would you be interested in supporting a Children's March for PD
on Washington?
You answered:  Maybe.  Have you requested that we contribute?
My now response: No. But I've been very impressed with the AIDS COMMUNITY
ability to raise research and treatment dollars and a large measure of that
is due,in my opinion,to the pictures and stories of children with AIDS and
their families. But if the PD community were to think about sending their
children to advocate for them would you consider us for a grant?
I don't know.  If you have a plan, I would certainly consider it.  I assume
that you would also submit such an application to each of the other
companies, including all major pharmaceutical firms, that profit from the
existence of Parkinson's Disease.  Perhaps you have already done so?

 Could you have your folk send me a grant application package now?
We don't have a "grant application package".  If you have a specific
request, please send it to me.

George J. Lussier
593 Pine Cone Strand
Acton,Ma. 01718

All for now but I'll await your response. And I do thank you for your
openness
George

You are welcome.
Andy