This list meets the needs of many pwp.  Some are either frightened at their
diagnosis, fearful of symptoms they don't understand and some just want
some comic relief from this serious business of living/dealing w/pd.  We
all deal with stress in different ways.

Having just joined the list in Jan. 98, I first thought I'd just be a
"lurker" and didn't even send a "Hi, I'm new to the list post."  What I
found was a list that was tolerant of questions as personal as constipation
and humor that made me forget I have a chronic neuromuscular disease that
presently has no cure and a prognosis of decline.  I soon found that
through encouragement of other list members, I, who am typically a shy,
quiet gal, was sending Jerry Finch my newbie story w/photo to publish on a
webring site that could literally be viewed/read by anyone in the world
with www.access.

What caused me to open up and talk w/total strangers about something as
personal as pd?  The assurance that that even though not every pwp is just
like me, we all share a common enemy.  I remember the relief when I found
other women w/pd, janet, Marling, Gina, Linda, Nancy, and a host of Barbs.
There were actually alot of pwp who were intelligent, caring, coping
individuals who were/are willing to share their experiences with others.

Though the list I found out about the Parkinson's Rally in July 98 at
Columbia, MO which I attended and actually saw/met pwp and their friends,
family and a community of medical pros. who are a forward looking bunch.
During the Q/A session of that rally a question was raised re:vitamin
supplements that was promptly answered by a medical professional who said,
"Take your meds, vitamins aren't the answer."  If that had been asked on
our list, family list members would have asked why/why not, what flavor,
how costly, do you sell vitamins and profit from their sale. We would not
have taken only one person's response as the ONLY response to the question.

I believe the variety of responses and individuals who make up the list is
what makes the list so successful.  We each have something to say and in
our present forum can do so (realizing that as in any "family" other
siblings will respond).

I believe growing up in a family w/parents who were both
republican/democrat, male/female, educated formally/educated less formally
I seldom found complacency or total agreement on issues.  This friendly
family debate on a multitude of issues has shaped me to feel that hearing
all sides is a good idea.  I find I usually agree w/something that either
side may offer.  Tolerance of fellow list family members is a middle child
trait that I recommend we practice.

Jeanette Fuhr 47/9mo