Dear Bill:
    You are concerned with the practicalities of this heinous disease, as it
progresses and steadily assumes control  over our physical functioning.  You
will receive many kind and extremely knowledgeable opinions from this list
of companions.  I, too, am usually fluid with my speech, thoughts, ideas.
So far the disease has only hinted at attacking this area in my own body.
However right now, as I sit at this keyboard with my tremoring fingers, and
think of you trying to do the one thing which for the first two years after
diagnosis kept me sane - separating what I could control from what I could
not - I am at a loss.
    I want to say.... go ahead and have a contingency plan, a Plan B just in
case.  Make the arrangements to turn over the operation you are engaged in,
but don't throw the switch.  This is hard to say, but I need to.  I have
known despair, and the vastness of the open chasm which has become my
future, during the past 2 1/2 yrs.  But this disease is so unpredictable.
It is so unique.  So individualized.  For me, it is akin to feeding the
chasm to try to nail down the rate at which I will progress.  I am seriously
studying the effect that mental attitude has on healing, and when I can, I
consciously attend to it.  I have now separated my experiences (again) into
2 different spaces - healthy and toxic.  I work at uncovering and giving to
healthy situations and I clear out of the toxic ones.  Sounds a little too
simple, I know.  But it works often enough to keep me sane now.
    I, too, have professional and personal obligations and responsibilities.
But today I believe that the individual to whom I have the primary
responsibility is me.  I will stop here before I begin to run on.  But after
these years since the diagnosis of trying to squeeze my life into the
restrictions of this disease, I am throwing off the halter.  I will not go
gentle.  This is not everyone's answer, not everyone's way.  But for me, for
now, it is mine.        Barb Rager