Communication problems, such as those mentioned (speaking, writing,
thinking, typing, organizing thoughts) can indeed be problems associated
with PD.

Changes in speech and voice are often the first noticable sign of PD.
With PD the muscles in the throat, just as the muscles of the arms and
legs, are affected which results in speech and/or swallowing difficulties.
To improve the quality of the voice and to PREVENT choking, it is
recommended to have an evaluation by a Speech Pathologist who can then
teach you exercises to improve the muscle tone and flexibility of muscles
used for speech and swallowing.  FYI, we (NPF) have a new updated (free)
book available on Speech and Swallowing.  The book is called "Speaking
Out".  To obtain a copy, please call us at 1-800-327-4545.

With the writing and typing difficulties, these dexterity problems can be
improved, again with certain exercises. Seeking an evaluation from an
occupational therpaist may be beneficial.

The thought processes can be affected too. Just as important as the
therapies mentioned above (by the way, physical therapy is suggested too),
"exercising" the brain is helpful. Keeping the brain as active as possible
helps stimulate the thought processes.  Crossword puzzles, word games,
scrabble, card games....anything that makes you think helps to exercise the
brain.  I've used game books I've purchased in book stores to show support
groups the kind of brain games to participate in.

Hopefully, by doing specific exercises for the specifc problems you have,
you will be able to improve in all these areas and if continued regularly,
maintain status quo for a longer period of time.  It is impossible for
anyone to say how rapidly these or any PD problems will progress as each
and every case is different.

Bonnie Cunningham, R.N.
Patient Services Director
National Parkinson Foundation