Barbara' I know your request about communication problems was not directed to
me, but I feel compelled to add my two cents.  Many years ago my husband Ken
had a booming courtroom voice.  At the time he began to show symptoms he was a
judge.  Twice in one year he was concerned enough about losing his voice to
have a complete workup done by a  thoracic surgeon.  He was told nothing was
wrong, so he had microphones installed in his courtroom.  Then he developed
urinary difficulties similar to some he had had years earlier when his
prostate was enlarged.  The  urologist's only comment was "not this time."  So
he just kept on for about another year when he developed a mammoth clinical
depression.  With the help of medical science, the depression lifted, but his
voice,  smile, blinking eyes, etc., remained and he was sent to a neurologist
who took one look and diagnosed Parkinson's.  For almost ten years he no
longer showed any outward  symptoms as long as he took his meds fairly
regularly.  Now, however, he is pretty much incontinent, and his voice is very
faint much of the time.  He lost the ability ti articulate almost anything
that was understandable last year, but the drug Aricept has pretty much taken
care of that.  He can once again  talk to us, and he can even get some volume
if we ask him to.
From what I have read on this listserv our experiences, although differing
from others in specifics, are not atypical.
Barbara Smith,cg/Ken/70/17