hi camilla

you and joan co-wrote:

>Joan wrote:  SNIPPED
>>The thing that really bothers me the most, & I've never
>>admitted this to anyone is the way my brain works: I used
>>to (had to) be a juggler-I could juggle 20 thoughts and not
>>drop one! Now, it seems that since I can only perform one
>>function at a time-& it requires all of my concentration; that
>>I can only think of one thing at a time.
>
>This is a true Parkie "blessing", Joan-- I've read on this list
>that PWPs can only do one thing at a time, and I find this
>true for Peter also.  It is hard for YOU and probably also for
>your family to accept and live with this-- and maybe if you
>"reframe" it as "focusing" it helps a little -- but it's still scary
>and frustrating---anyway, it IS "PD normal", FWIW.

joan,
i have never been able to juggle thoughts in the way that you describe
neither has my sister [non-pd]
maybe it's a genetic trait?
e.g. if my desk / work area / kitchen is messy,
the visual distraction has always impacted my concentration
e.g. any sounds at all, conversations, music, etc
distract me from thinking and concentrating

this [mental] quality has not changed in me since getting pd

camilla,
in re not being able to *do* more than one thing at a time
this applies to me when my meds aren't in sync and i am 'off'
i think that a good part of the cause here
is that as a movement disorder, pd suddenly changes 'the rules'
about so-called 'automatic' movements
thus, walking becomes a task for the conscious part of the brain
where it normally would be taken care of automatically or unconsciously

this [physical] quality is the most pronounced symptom i have

your cyber-sis

janet

http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson