AS I posted before I to have a speech problem. I would like to relate a
story to all of you that happened to me a few weeks ago. I was comming home
from work and remembered that my wife Ruth was not going to be home to fix
dinner . I was not up to a struggle with can openers and hot pans so I
decided to stop at McDonalds. The McDonalds close to my home much to their
credit hires a lot of mentally handicapped people. My med had worn off and
I was having much difficulty with my voice so I knew that a trip through
the Drive Thru window would be a battle of epic proportion so I went in. I
went to a window and this little girl who was mentally handicaprd said "Hi
,,, welcome to McDonalds. May I take your order" I ordered 2 cheeseburgres
and a medium coke. She says "Hi ... welcome to Mc Donalds. May I take your
order. I repeated my order and she said "Hi ... welcome to McDonalds. May I
take your order? " OH O I figured. This is a problem. Now there was a time
I my life that I would have thrown a tantrum of which McDonalds has never
seen but now I have learned my lession so I asked "Coluld you please get
the manager?" AH Ha I think ...I get a little smile and that look that two
humans exchange when a communication contact is made. She understood me and
the manager was forth comming I am thinking. She says to me in a
soft,slured,slow,clipped voice identical to mine " Chocoloooooot,
Vinillllia or Strawwwwwwwberry . Yikes it was me talking to me. I wanted to
lean over the counter and hug this little thing. Anyway ... Another
employee understiood me when I asked for the manager and got her She took
my order and filled it herself. She apologized profusely for the employee.
I told her "You have an excellent employee" Be proud of her. As I left this
poor sole says. Thank you for comming to McDonalds" "Please come again."

A simple lession in personal humility ...Terry