SAMPLE TELEPHONE SCRIPT

     Hello, my name is _____________________ and I am a constituent.  I
am calling to ask you to work with your boss to ensure that Congress
appropriates $100 million for focused Parkinson's research in the FY99
Labor-HHS Appropriations bill.  I [my husband/wife/parent etc.] suffer
from Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological disorder that
destroys brain cells controlling motor function.  Current treatments only
partially alleviate the symptoms of stiffness, tremor, and slowness of
movement.  Eventually Parkinson's leaves its victims unable to walk, to
talk, even to move.  [Incorporate your personal story]

     There is great promise in new Parkinson's research, but unfortunately
this research receives inadequate federal funding.  Direct research on
Parkinson's disease received only 35 million dollars last year --that's 35
dollars per patient for the million Americans suffering from this disease.
This lack of funding causes delayed breakthroughs and unnecessary
suffering.

     I would like to urge Senator/Representative [the Member's whose
office you are speaking with] to do whatever he/she can to work with
the Appropriations Committee to ensure that the FY99 appropriation for
the NIH includes at least $100 million in Parkinson's-focused research, as
provided in the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Disease Research Act (P.L.
105-78), which was signed into law on November 13, 1997.

     Thank you for your time.  Do you have any questions?  [If questions
arise that you cannot  answer, ask the LA to contact the Parkinson's
Action Network at 800-850-4726]

Parkinson's Action Network