-

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:12:44   William Isbell wrote:
>        To all of you who answered by question regarding communication losses, my
>heartfelt thanks.  It provided the exact information that I needed, going
>into my next appointment with my neurologist.
>        There was one aspect of your replies that caught me off guard, though.  I
>was not prepared for the incredibly literate manner in which the replies
>were phrased.  Without exception, the messages contained not only facts ---
>but they also expressed feelings, longings, sharings of worries and offers
>of help in a manner which would make a well-written book.
>        So, my question to you is, were you all able to express yourself so well
>before PD?  Is there some compensation for this disease which wastes the
>body, while leaving the mind relatively alone?
>        While we cannot communicate verbally as well as before, and our thoughts
>may not flow as rapidly and smoothly, when you are in front of a keyboard,
>with plenty of time to compose, do you write better now than in your pre-PD
>days?
>        Silver lining?
>        Thanks for being there, folks.  I'll need you even more in the future.
>
>Bill Isbell            64/2mos.
Bill,

In a word - yes, although the onset of PD is so insidious and takes place over such a long period of time that it's probably impossible to say whether the literacy is the result of the disease or is simply the result of long years of practice at a skill.  Interesting idea, though it might just be a case of "post hoc ergo propter hoc" - after the fact, therefore because of the fact.
Pat

http://www.mailexcite.com