On Sat 29 Aug, Becky Potts wrote:
> Dear Listmembers,
>
>     I posted a message a few weeks ago about this project, and got about 30 great resp
> onses!  A huge thanks goes out to all of you who helped!!  However, to do a significan
> t statisticl analysis I need many more responses.  I would be very grateful to anyone
> who will help!
>
>         My name is Becky Potts.  I'm going into my junior year in highschool.  I'm int
> erested in this list for a few reasons.  My grandpa was diagnosed with Parkinson's a f
> ew years ago, but just recently I have become interested in scientific research of nue
> rological diseases.  I researched Huntington's Disease in depth after doing a small pr
> oject and becoming interested in HD.  I learned that any science project to be done wo
> uld take 5 to 10 to 20 years and would not be a highschool project, so I decided to sw
> itch my view to
> Parkinson's.  I did a little bit of research and discovered that it is not yet known f
> or sure if  PD has a genetic link.  I thought that would be a great project for me to
> look into (especially considering that if there is a
> link then I may eventually develop the disease!).  My idea is to simply gather enough
> information (case histories of relatives with PD) to do a statistical analysis on the
> genetic link.  I would be extremely grateful if you could help me with this project.
> I've
> gotten my data sheet figured out, so if I could ask a few questions it would be a grea
> t help.  (I need to have your permission to use this information in my study before I
> get into the fairs and symposia.  There are two main possible risks: 1. Emotional Stre
> ss to you at speaking of this family illness,  2. Because you are responding by e-mail
>  the response may not be completely private or secure, but I will assure you that I wo
> n't use any names, addresses, or identifying characteristics in my final project.  Tha
> nks!)  Ok, here goes:
>
> 1. PWP's name
> 2. PWP's location (city, state/province)
> 3. PWP's/your E-mail address
> 4. PWP's occupation
> 5. PWP's relatives with PD (if any) and the following info on them as well
> as PWP
> 6. gender
> 7. Onset Age (first symptoms)
> 8. Diagnosis Age (when doctors diagnosed PD)
> 9. Age now
> 10. other illnesses PWPs have had
> 11. chemicals PWPs have been exposed to
> 12. other trauma PWPs have endured
> 13. Ethnicity of PWPs (certain Italian and Chinese families have had unusual clusters
> of PD, so Ethnic Background may be a factor)
> 14. Brief history of geopraphic locations PWPs have lived in  (if you've grown up in a
>  pristine mountain valley or a huge smoggy city it could make a difference)
>
> Wow!  What a list!  I hope  it's not too hard to track it all down!!  I understand if
> [...]
Hello Becky,  Here are my statistics for your study. (I assume that you can
accept data from anywhere in the world ?

1. Brian Collins
2. Derby, England
4. Retired (Mechanical Engineer)
5. No known relatives with PD
6. Male
7. 33
8. 39
9. 58
10. No significant illnesses (Hay fever- which disappeared at about 20
    yrs of age)
11. No extra-ordinary exposure to chemicals known
12. None - No broken bones, no major illnesses.
13. 100% English
14. Born in Melbourne, Australia (Parents were born in England)
    Spent first 5 yrs in Australia.
    Parents then returned to England (Birmingham) together with my younger
    brother and myself.
    Moved to Derby (about 40 miles from Birmingham) to work in 1960, and
    stayed there ever since. EXCEPT - from 1970-73 I lived and worked in
    California USA. Since this was immediately before I showed first
    symptoms it may be significant, but I have been unable to find any
    relationship. (I lived at Palmdale, about 40 miles north-east of
    Los Angeles in the High Desert region -noted for its clean air (At least
    it was in 1970 !)).

I have some views on this subject which I would be happy to discuss with
you if you wish. Meanwhile, best wishes with your Project.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>