John Noble SET PARKINSN DIGESTS wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with Ritilin as an energy booster for a PWP?  After
> a thorough exam, my internist found nothing to cause my almost continuous
> exhaustion.  My regular neurologist, in whom I have great confidence, said he
> couldn't find a PD-related basis for it.

From what I've seen here and my own experience, This "exhaustion" is
a seriously overlooked feature of the PD syndrome. IMHO, it has
something to do with the minumum level of available dopamine that
occurs at the end of each periodic medication dose interval. That
level changes slowly, declining if the PD is left untreated and rising
under dopaminergic therapy, independent of fluctuation due to separate
individual doses. As we all know, the dopamine that is provided by
the various drug treatments seems to get "used up" somehow, and that
is why we need frequent repeated medication. What I have noticed is
that any kind of stress, either physical or mental, causes the effect
of medication to decline faster. And a small extra dose (in my case,
Sinemet) when the stress occurs seems to alleviate the tired feeling.
If you are truly exhausted, say after running a marathon, medication
won't help, only rest and nutrition will do. But the exhaustion that
occurs so often in PD (complete with shortness of breath and pounding
pulse) disappears so quickly after a little dopamine that I think it
isn't the same thing. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694