Date:    Sun, 30 Aug 1998 16:50:54 -0500
From:    Leo Fuhr <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Are Communication Losses Typical?

Bonnie and others,

When I attended a Parkinson's Rally in July 98 I was disappointed in the
speech therapist who talked to the group.  This particular therapist seemed
to think that working with Parkinson's patients to improve speech was
usually not very successful.  The way I understood her reasoning, it was
because without continued daily practice, most therapies would quickly show
no improvement and  then a person is back to the problem again.  Is this
interpretation correct?  Do Parkies need to continually practice the speech
or swallowing therapies daily to not see the problems recurring?

Thanks for any input you may have on this angle about speech therapy.

The occupational therapist was the more upbeat of the two.....showed
demonstration by seating herself and the featured neuro on chairs atop the
head table how to sit and rise easier from the type of chairs at the rally.
 Also mentioned home made remedies like taping foam rubber to pens,
utensils to make for better grip or a button gripper from a paper clip.

Jeanette Fuhr 47/9mo