More Internet use is more depressing, study says

PITTSBURGH (August 30, 1998 6:43 p.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) -- The
more hours people spend on the Internet, the more depressed, stressed and
lonely they feel, according to a groundbreaking study that surprised its
authors.

Internet use had the same effect even for people who spent most of their time
in such social activities as chat rooms or exchanging e-mail, said the study
headed by Robert Kraut, a social psychology professor at Carnegie Mellon
University in Pittsburgh.

Sociable users ended up feeling just as isolated as users who spent more time
crawling the Web for information, Kraut said Sunday.

One reason for the negative effect may have been that using the Internet left
less time for the deeper relationships of friends and family, Kraut suggested.

"People are substituting weaker social ties for stronger ones," he said.
"They're substituting conversations on narrower topics with strangers for
conversations with people who are connected to their life."

It was the first study to examine the emotional impact of people's Internet
use over time, Kraut said.

The findings contradicted the researchers' expectation that Internet use would
foster social contact, especially through e-mail and chat rooms.

Kraut and his colleagues followed 93 Pittsburgh-area families for two years.
The families were given computer, phone lines and use of the Internet for
free, in return for agreeing to fill out occasional questionnaires.

The true-false questionnaires included such statements as "I can't find
companionship when I want it," "I felt that everything I did was an effort,"
and "I felt I could not shake off the blues, even with help from my family and
friends."

The number of hours they spent on line were recorded electronically.

Participants' levels of depression and loneliness were measured at the start
of the study. At the end of the two years, researchers found they could
predict changes in an individual's emotional state according to the number of
hours spent on the Internet.

The reverse was not true. "Depression and loneliness doesn't predict
subsequent use of the Internet," Kraut said.

The $1.5 million study was funded by the National Science Foundation, the
Markle Foundation and 13 computer, software or communications companies,
including AT&T Research, Bell Atlantic, the U.S. Postal Service, Apple
Computer, Hewlett Packard and Intel. It is to be published this week in The
American Psychologist, the monthly journal of the American Psychological
Association.

One study participant, 17-year-old Andrea Rubinsky of Pittsburgh, said she
didn't feel any worse for her Internet use, although her Internet use has
dropped since the study began. She started out using it 10 hours to 15 hours
per week but now averages about three hours, she estimated.

"It just also might be I have more things to do now," Andrea said.

She made no lasting friends through the chat rooms, she said, but does use e-
mail to keep up with friends she has met in person.

Her father, Peter, also didn't feel he ever neglected personal relationships
to spend time on-line.

"I would say there's a conflict with other things that needed to get done. The
grass didn't get mowed sometimes and the car didn't get washed," Rubinsky
said.

The study will continue in order to examine the mechanisms that seem to
produce the emotional effects and how computer use compares with television
use.

Other scientists told The New York Times that the research may start a debate
over how the Internet should be shaped.

Christine Riley, a psychologist at Oregon-based Intel, told the Times the
research results surprised her but that more study was needed.

Tora Bikson, a senior scientist at Rand, the research institution, said the
study was carefully done and not easily ignored.

By Claudia Coates, Associated Press Writer
Copyright 1998 Nando.net
Copyright 1998 The Associated Press

hi all

for whatever it's worth
i think the conclusions drawn are much too blanket-like to mean anything
significant - e.g. what about those who actively want to get on the internet
[as opposed to having it handed to you] and what are their reasons and

janet