hi all

i received this message from cyber-dad-don this morning:

>Subj:   barb lost
>Date:  1998/08/31  10:12:42
>From:  [log in to unmask] (don)
>To:    [log in to unmask]
>
>barb
>the only list that vivian allows me on is your list.
>since i am now having a lot of trouble understanding things
>i depend on you and Janet to keep me in line.
>i am getting more tired every day of fighting.
>today on the pd family list i got 2 messages i would call advertisements:
why?
>the list mail has dropped down from about 80 to 40
>is there something i did or is everyone upset?
>as i don't get out, the list is my world.
>i need your or janet's encouragement to keep going.
>i never thought i would need help.
>they have upped my meds as high as they dare
>do i put too much on the list?
>I.Y.Q.
>DON & VIVIAN

first of all, no, don, you have not put too much on the list

since i have been pretty vocal through this and previous list kefuffles
i feel a tad responsible here
and started mulling
as follows:

i suspect that a lot of list-members
have opted for a 'safer' or 'wiser' strategy
of keeping a low profile at the moment [no criticism intended]

maybe some list family members are uncomfortable
with any controversy or debate on the list

in the same way that
some list family members are uncomfortable
with any silliness or banter on the list

and probably in the same way that
some list family members might be uncomfortable
with all news all serious all the time

i have worked hard at learning some things over the past couple of years:
i try to accept criticism without reacting personally
i am not responsible for the way others treat me
i am only responsible for the way i treat others
but that is me and my current perception

in my humble opinion
anyone and everyone has a right to say what they want on our list
whether it's goofy, angry, sarcastic, loving, stupid, brilliant, boring,
scintillating
spelled rite or rong

as i have said before
and am still in awe of now
this list is the ultimate democracy in that
everyone gets their turn to speak if they wish it
and
everyone has to wait their turn

no one can get physically shouted down or censored
no one has to pay any attention to any criticism
unless barb patterson says to cool it

it's her list, her creation,
generously generated by her desire to
help parkies communicate and share with each other

just as messages can and shouldn't be censored or policed
messages can and shouldn't be demanded or expected

but since my very favourite cyber relative is feeling the loss of support
due to the current lull [and i would think he is not alone in this]
i would like to hereby request some input and responses
to this mull
along with whatever bad jokes or banter you can drum up

i am about to post a serious news message for balance
[which we all need, right?]

with love from your cyber-sibling

and cyber-dad-don's

sis