Bill Heitman wrote:

>I had always maintained that the situation resembled the Alamo.  While
there
>wads a time in my first few years that I would have accepted a draw, these
>days I want a win.

A very good analogy, Bill, and one that lends itself to development. I would
prefer, however to move the scene from the Alamo, where a brave defence
still failed, to sieges such as Mafeking or Stalingrad where the defenders
held on until the relief columns broke through.

We are in a state of siege.  The enemy snipes at us from all sides and
occasionally mounts a full scale assault which, if successful drives us from
whatever position we now hold, to whatever new positions we have prepared
for just such an eventuality.  The longer the siege goes on the more
withstanding it becomes a matter of commitment and faith as supplies of food
and ammunition dwindle.

If the enemy won't go away of its own accord the only hope of release is the
timely arrival of the relief columns.  In our case, of course,  the relief
columns are the many different agencies and companies looking for the cure.
It is our job, as defenders, to hang on in as good shape as possible until
they get to us.

"Hanging on" is by no means a passive response.  We don't know how long the
siege will last so we need to:

- work on preparing fall back positions in order to minimise the enemies
victories, and enhance our chances of still being around when the
breakthrough comes.

- learn to use our resources carefully, with a mind to future needs,

- keep a close watch for "Trojan horses" that appear to signal our victory
but only serve to let down our defences.

- fight like the blazes on our own local front

- keep sending out sorties.  They irritate the enemy and boost our moral.

- do whatever we can to hasten the arrival of the relief columns, but not at
the cost of compromising our ability to withstand the siege.  There is
already enough suffering associated with PD;  we don't need martyrs!

What doesn't help is standing on the ramparts and screaming at the relief
columns to hurry up.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/11

"It is better to be a crystal and be broken,
Than to remain perfect like a tile upon the housetop."

http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/