I am 58 today and was diagnosed with PD+ in 1976.  Falling  has become a
very serious problem for me.  Last week  I had my 18 month checkup for
the right hip wwhich I had broken for the 2nd time in Feb 1997 at which
time 3 pins were inserted into the right femur .  I had broken the bone
at the base of the ball and the x-ray taken during the checkup in Feb
1998 showed that the healing process was doing great -- over 90% healed
.  But I received the shock of my life last week when the surgeon said
that the x-ray had shown that the ball just disappeared .  "What?" I had
never heard of such a thing.  Apparently a fall last winter tore the
tissue containing rthe blood vessels away from the ball and the bone
died, then it cracked and crumpled into dust.  Now he wants to put an
artificial hip in, but I am somewhat reluctant to g through another
surgery and extensive recuperation -- I've just been recuperating for 18
mo. and  still can't walk.  Oh, I hobble thru my small apt with a walker
fairly well.

On 9/3 I am having the pins removerd and this should giv me immediate
relief from the pain and discomfort. Then I have to make the big
decision.

The purpose of the new hip is t enable me to walk again.  But with my
recent history of falling so often makes me wander if I couldn't  be
right back where I am now.

Does  anyone have any experience or info that might help me decide what
to do?  If so, please e-mail me privately at

Thanks , myron