Well, well, well.  I have a rather last-minute request, here. I just
found out today that, starting Tuesday, I'm going to be teaching a
junior-level expository writing course in which students are supposed to
rhetorically analyze some form of writing or another (doesn't matter what
form).  That's as specific as it gets; I get to make everything else up
out of thin air.

So I've decided that I'm going to have the students do a rhetorical
analysis of genre, as sort of the framework for talking about individual
genres, which they'll then analyze.  We're going to start by reading some
basic texts that define genre as rhetorical action.  Then they're
going to do an "ethnographic" unit -- "Genre in Everyday Life" -- where
they identify the written genres they see around them, and talk about their
characteristics & rhetorical purpose, and how the characteristics serve
the purpose, etc., etc.

OK.  So then they'll select one of five areas -- business written genres,
literary written genres, popular culture genres (in any medium), internet
genres, and video genres -- and do some core reading in that area, and do
an individual research project on one specific genre within that area.

My question: Can anybody recommend readings in those areas?  I'd like to
find pieces which analyze specific genres or that talk more broadly about
what *constitutes* a genre (or genres) in any of these areas.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Marcy

                        Marcy Bauman
         Writing Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn
              4901 Evergreen Rd, Dearborn, MI 48128
                      fax: 313-593-5552
                 http://www.umd.umich.edu/~marcyb