Hi all again,  Here's what I can say about the possibility of doing an
MA or PhD in  rhetoric and composition at UBC:  It IS possible to do
graduate studies in rhetoric and composition  here--although the program
is not as full as it was when Andrea Lunsford  and Nan Johnson were here
in the 1980's. Their supervision was behind the  happy PhD's of Doug
Brent, Henry Hubert, and moi.  The Department here still has in place
courses and structures to  allow for such a concentration in the
graduate program. As Cathy has  mentioned, our new appointment will
enhance existing  opportunities (Right now students would probably work
most closely with  Glenn Deer and me, although they would also find
several  faculty members in the department sympathetic to their
projects--especially  where rhetorical  theory is considered with other
critical theory, or where rhetorical  studies are considered with
language studies.) Exciting too is the  possibility (in discussion phase
only) of integrating the goals of our  undergraduate writing program
with those of the graduate program, so that,  for example, graduate
students could teach and become professionalized  within the context of
the graduate program.  Because graduate course offerings in rhetoric are
still few,  incoming graduate students would be advised to take
advantage of a  wide range of potentially relevant courses outside of
rhetoric but within  the department, the faculty, and the university as
a whole. One of my own  graduate students, for example, supplemented his
study of rhetoric of  medicine by taking a course in medical
anthropology; another  took my course in composition pedagogy alongside
a course offered in  Language Edcuation by the Faculty of Education. UBC
also  has an Individual Interdisciplinary Graduate Program which allows
students  to create programs across traditional areas. Students
typically enter the  IIGSP program after they have been admitted to a
home department from  which they begin their graduate study.  Anyone
interested can get more information from me or from our  Chair of
Graduate Studies: Laurel Brinton, Dep't of English, UBC, 397-1873  East
Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1. Inquiries about the IIGSP should be
addressed to Rhodri Windsor-Liscombe, Chair, c/o Green College, 6201
Cecil Green Park, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1

Judy

Judy Segal  Department of English and Chair of Science Studies
University of British Columbia

Phone: 604-822-5652  Fax: 604-822-6906  Email: [log in to unmask]