This has been amazing.  We got back from a week in the Netherlands on
Tuesday night to find that the award (which I'd heard about before we
left) had been announced, and Jane had put a note about it on CASLL.

Look, as a lot of people here have heard me say, I don't really believe
in these awards; I think it's not always -- or maybe even usually -- the
case that they actually reflect achievements in any meaningful way.  So
the award, while nice, didn't really make a whole lot of difference.
But the messages on CASLL, well, hell, have been just incredibly
gratifying.  It's _that_ kind of thing that makes you feel . . . oh, I
don't know, validated.  Like maybe I can make a difference.  It's been a
great few days.  Thanks to everybody who's posted.

And now we return you to our regularly scheduled humility . . .

                                  -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~