On Tue 01 Sep, Bonnie Cunningham, R.N. wrote:
> Dear Hillary:

> Pallidotomy is intended to help symptoms such as rigidity and dyskinesias.
> This is the more invasive surgery of the two as a probe actually passes
> into the brain.
>
> DBS will control tremors only.  This surgery requires that electrodes be
> placed ON the brain, so nothing actually passes through the brain. There is
> a control box that is implanted into the chest muscle, much like a cardiac
> pacer, with thin wires run up the vessels in the neck to the electrodes.
>
> While tremors can be very debilitating for some, it is more often that
> rigidity is the most debilitating part of PD.
>

> Bonnie Cunningham, R.N.
> Patient Services Director
> NPF

Hello Bonnie.  Are you SURE that the Deep Brain Stimulation operation
does not involve inserting probes into the brain?  My understanding is
that a probe is inserted into the brain, in almost exactly the way that
is used during the Pallidotomy operation. The difference is that in the
case of a Pallidotomy a current is passed through the head of the probe,
which destroys the surrounding cells. The risk element exists because of
the possiblity of 'cooking' adjacent cells which are not involved with
Parkinsons. In particular the speech and eyesight functions are at risk.

In the case of DBS, the same type of invasive probe is used, but it
carries with it trailing wires which are connected to a transmitter head.
The transmitter head is located at the point in the brain where the effect
is to be produced: If the DBS system is used to perform a Pallidotomy-type
operation, the transmitter head is located at the same place as in the
Pallidotomy, but the high frequency signal is non-destructive. So, if for
some reason it becomes necessary to remove the probe, this can be done,
and the brain reverts to its original mode. In a Pallidotomy the operation
is non-reversible.

The risks in a DBS operation are thus lower than for a Pallidotomy. The
bad news is that the cost of the external hardware is much greater in the
DBS operation (several thousand pounds more), and this hardware requires
sevicing, battery changes, etc.

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>