Barbara,

Thanks for your message. I will share with you why I have subscribed to
the Parkinsn List.

My father (age 76) has Parkinson's, and I would like to understand his
condition better than I currently do. My Mom (age 72) is very unhappy
about his condition (as is he), how it has changed their lives and
ability to accomplish things throughout the day, and how many of their
'friends' have responded (or shall I say, stopped responding).

He has become very stooped, and unfortunately drools at times. He is
still able to drive a car short distances (hurray!), but longer
distances have been eliminated because he sometimes becomes disoriented.
He does have the trembling in his mouth and hands. He was always a
rather quiet person, but has become even more quiet, speaking only to
those he is comfortable with. On the bright side, he can still come up
with a joke, still likes to talk about stocks, and gives intelligent
answers to questions. Still my dear Dad. He also gets on his computer
from time to time to check his stock prices over Yahoo, and will
occasionally send me a brief email. I am proud of this.

He worked for United Airlines for 32 years and still does travel with my
Mom. This year they made trips to FL, AZ, UT, and PA. They live near
Indianapolis. I live 35 miles from them. My only other sibling does not
actively participate in my Dad's life, as he has some difficulties of
his own.

They have explored some exercise therapy, herbal remedies, acupuncture,
and so forth. I cannot remember at this moment everything that they have
tried. No drugs, however. And no surgeries. They prefer to avoid the
drugs. She tries to get my Dad out for a walk every day. He is not the
most ambitious at doing his exercises, however. He has shown more energy
and alertness on the days that he had exercise therapy. Listening to
music (he likes Sinatra, Streisand, some jazz, some Caribbean flavors,
and baroque classical) never fails to perk him up. In my opinion, I
don't think he indulges in listening to music quite enough.

I think my Mom feels lonely at times, even though she is a pretty strong
woman. I sent her the name of this list, too. If she wants to subscribe,
I'll show her how to do it.

I wish there was a 'digest' version of this list, as I prefer to receive
the emails in a batch if possible. But I have not seen option listed
with this List. Would that be something to add in the future, perhaps?

Thank you,
Jolie Renee
Elwood, Indiana