On Wed 02 September, Brian Collins wrote:

>>> Are you SURE that the Deep Brain Stimulation operation does not involve
inserting probes into the brain?  My understanding is
that a probe is inserted into the brain, in almost exactly the way that is
used during the Pallidotomy operation....<<<

On Wed 02 Sept, Andy Blatz wrote:

>>> DBS surgery is EXACTLY like pallidotomy or thalamotomy surgery until
the very end.  Whatever mapping techniques are used with pallidotomy or
thalamotomy are also used with DBS surgery, including microelectrode
guidance<<<

On Wed 02 Sept, Carole Cassidy wrote:

>>>I think what Bonnie was getting at is the fact that pallidotomy actually
creates a lesion, which means that it destroys a tiny piece of brain
tissue.  DBS does not destroy tissue, therefore is considered less invasive.

Dear Brian, Andy and Carole:

I stand corrected.  Indeed DBS is invasive as a probe is introduced into
the brain, however, since it does not destroy tissue, it is less invasive
than a Pallidotomy.

My Apologies,

Bonnie Cunningham, R.N.
NPF