Hello all,
Yesterday I had another ulnar nerve transposition, on the right
elbow this time.
About a year and a half ago I had the left elbow done.  My surgeon
was great (same doc this time too), but the anesthesiologist was
different.  This time I had Dr. Damara and she was great.
This is the 6th (I think) surgery I have had and the second since my
diagnosis for PD.  The last time I had such a hard time breathing
afterwards. Dr. Damara called me at home the night before surgery
to talk about my last experience and the up coming surgery.
Yesterday, before I was even put in the short stay room she came
to see me and talk. She said that sometimes when a person has
Parkinson's Disease they become sensitive to many drugs.  This
increase in sensitivity can cause many problems. When a person
is large ( like me ) the normal thing to do would be to increase the
meds to match the weight.  However, she said that with PD
sometimes we should start with less than normal and work up to
more if it is necessary.
Also, I cannot take codeine at all, and am sensitive to all opiates
( and I am not on Eldepryl now). She went over the record of my
last surgery and informed me that that anesthetist must have
misunderstood because he gave me a shot of morphine while I was
out. That, she said, is probably why I had so much trouble.
This time she used NO opiates, I came out of it quickly and
clearly. I had no trouble breathing at all.

This has turned into a long post, but I am wondering if others have
had similar problems.  I know that opiates are a problem if you are
taking Eldepryl.  But, I wonder if other people have noticed an
increased sensitivity to non-PD meds of one type or another??

"don't forget how to laugh, and do it often"
http://members.tripod.com/~marling