Dear Betty,

> Jim & I want to know about the protein ratio diet, it was discussed
> briefly a few days
> ago.

Sometimes, after a few years of using Sinemet, PWP begin to experience
"on-off" fluctuations -- the Sinemet seems to be wearing off sooner than
it should. Some of the new meds are designed to extend the useful life
of Sinemet. Another way to help is to either eat all protein at the
evening meal, so that it can't interfere with the Sinemet's absorption;
or to eat a high ratio of carbohydrate to protein. This causes a release
of insulin great enough to take up some of the amino acids in the
bloodstream, along with the glucose produced by the carbohydrates; and
it leaves a better chance for the Sinemet to make it across the
blood-brain-barrier and perform its work.

A ratio of 5:1 to 7:1 works well for most people, though some may need a
higher ratio of 8:1 or 9:1. These people may need to eat some extra
protein at the evening meal, though, because it's difficult to get
enough protein for good health at such a high ratio. I prefer the
high-carb plan because it allows for a greater variety of proteins
throughout the day, and a more normal eating plan.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD